Thursday, December 8, 2016

That time of the year

I got a little story for you all. And, unlike my normal fair, this one's actually nonfiction. A true story of my evening tonight:

Hey everyone,

As most of you know, I’ve had a pretty shitty ass year. Year plus really. Almost two years. Yeah, time has not been too great for Mr. Beardy. The “Jolly Green Giant” has had less reason to be so jolly in recent past. Not saying everything’s sucked, there’s been a good amount of great times out there with family and friends over the same time period. Have even managed to make some new friends along the way.

But, there’s still been some serious reason for “the grumps” with everything going on

Counter to “business as usual” I had something really unexpected happen today. After I got picked up by my mother, and we were heading home, she had to do the usual route of stopping in to use the restroom, like PRONTO, so I had her get off the highway exit and hit up the McD’s. While there we decided to get something to eat in the area, and she had me look up local area eats. It’s too damn cold and snowy to go anywhere else. Or risk going too far out of our way with unknown weather lurking an d horrible drivers multiplying like rabbits in spring.

We settled on Los Rancheros.

We ordered our food and drinks, and got it lickity split. I mean the service was FAST son. Granted, there was only 1 other guy there, so this may not be an accurate representation, but it was pretty good to say the least. However, in the interim time between getting our drinks and our food, the other gentlemen there, the only other customer in the place, got up and left. On his way by our table, we were seated near the door with my foot propped up as usual, he wished us a Merry Christmas.

Christmas being 2 weeks away, I hadn’t gotten used to that level of random festivities yet. However, I cheerfully replied and wished him a safe journey home. And he left.

My Spidey/DM sense tingled, and I wasn’t sure what was up. I don’t know if it was the timing of it. The extra split second over the shoulder regard, or what. But, tingle tingle.

Anyway.

Food arrived, and it was pretty good. Like I said. FAST service. We ate, had a hard time finishing everything, and, had to request a box.

It was at this point that I realized what my DM sense had picked up. But I wasn’t able to figure out.

The waiter informed us that the gentleman at the other table, had given the waiter some money for our meal. And told us the new amount that we owed. Which wasn’t much.

My mom literally could not fathom what was going on. It took several time for the waiter to explain it, then I had to translate.

We were both floored to say the least.

I got to say, this whole situation has had me tripping over myself. I’ve had this whole year of suck, then this random guy. This guy that I didn’t even get his name. Someone that I only caught a glimpse of, and probably wouldn’t even recognize his face if I saw him again. This amazing human being, showed me that there’s at least a glimmer of goodness and light left in humanity.

So, whoever you are good sir, and wherever you are and are headed, I thank you with the deepest sincerity, and hope you find the coming year as bright as you’ve made the end of my year.


I’ve always heard of stories like this. And I always thought it was amazing. But, I can tell ya, it’s even more so when you’re actually in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment